Visual (EdMedia) Practice

Visual (EdMedia) Practice

The “Going Visual” (GV) workshop series has been a foundational part of the EdMedia program from the get go. With the rise in popularity of sketchnoting, visual scribing, graphic recording, facilitation and the like, more and more educators are exploring their drawing skills as a means to teach. Drawing can be used in a myriad of ways for teaching, but as it pertains to educational media, one of the most useful is through the design and development of story.

I have chosen a shortlist of regular GV activities and resources for todays EMP session that focuses on story development. Most of them have been added to the “EDMEDIA DROP IN” website and are available for anyone to do on their own. Trying to provide these activities in the most flexible way possible.

Monsters

The monster challenge from Lynda Barry, is a good way to warm up a visual practice session, can be used as an icebreaker or a way to get to know one another, and begin to explore character development.

#gv25 Monster Challenge from Lynda Barry

Here are some monsters from the EMP Spring 2018 cohort

Lines

We did not get as much a chance to explore lines as I would have liked. Its always the best warm up… just to scribble.  I did point to the great visual resource from Yuri Malishenko, the Essentials of Visual Language – Workbook A great place to practice, not to mention being a perfect eg. of OER.

Grids

#gv14 Grids and Gestures from Nick Sousanis

Here are some grids from the EMP Spring 2018 cohort

This is my attempt at giving instructions for the Grids andn Gesture exercise USING THE CHALKBOARD which I loved more than I can say.

Grids and Gestures, DOs and do NOTs

Comics

There are many ways comics have served to guide the development and design of educational media. Last year I explored some of these from a pedagogical perspective. Taking my inspiration from Dr. Jessica Motherwell and colleague from the JIBC Krista Lambert in a presentation they did at the Sketching in Practice Symposium this year called “Using Comics to rehearse best practices“. We really wanted to take of from the grid and gesture exercise to get down to the nitty gritty of designing a comic book page. Everyone seemed to enjoy it although we did run out of time.

Drawn to Comics: An instructional outline

Its great to see all the activities strung together, and building towards a more complex design project.

Going Visual in EdMedia